Summary: "I had no illusions about love... It came, it went, it left casualties or it didn't. People weren't meant to be together forever, regardless of what the songs say." Remy doesn't believe in love. And why should she? Her romance novelist mother is working on her fifth marriage, and her father, a '70s hippie singer, left her with only a one-hit wonder song to remember him by. Every time Remy hears "This Lullaby," it feels like "a bruise that never quite healed right." "Wherever you may go / I will let you down / But this lullaby plays on..." Never without a boyfriend, Remy is a compulsive dater, but before a guy can go all "Ken" on her (as in "ultra boyfriend behavior") she cuts him off, without ever getting close or getting hurt. That's why she's stunned when klutzy, quirky, alterna-band boy Dexter inserts himself into her life and refuses to leave. Remy's been accepted to Stanford, and she plans on having her usual summer fling before tying up the loose ends of her pre-college life and heading for the coast. Except Dexter's not following Remy's tried-and-true rules of break-up protocol. And for the first time, Remy's questioning whether or not she wants him to.

♥ ♥ ♥
This Lullaby gets from me 3 stars. For the matter of fact when I started this book I already wanted to start another one so I kinda rushed through it and was impatient to enjoy it that well. In the beginning I found Remy’s character a bit annoying cuz she was so strict and picky about everything (and guess what - it’s soo me sometimes. Jeez, am I that annoying to other peepz then sometimes? Sorry about that) I loved Dexters character, he was this positive-cool-ready for commitment-kind of guy who doesn’t let the girl push him away (yeah we all want that guy but I’ve only read about them in books) A believer! And of corse Remy is the opposite, that’s what makes the story a good one.

There were really great scenes with both of them together but then abruptly when it came to family/friends story I lost interest. So for me it was an up-and-down read. I understand the story of Remys family relation had to be told and it was all a part of the story and added to the message of this book. But I couldn’t help myself but finding some parts less catchy. I liked the end BUT again it’s a pity we didn’t get a good scene with a great dialog, you can tell approx. what Remy and Dex have been talking about - expecially the future - but I would have loved to read it.

Lori – my friend who loves to read just as I do (thanks to me haha) and is a writer / and is afraid of orcas even though she never actually saw one! just for the record – has recommended me the Sarah Dessen books. Don’t worry I won’t give up on those, I still have like 5 more to go :D

1 comments:

Angela hat gesagt…

I read this book about a year ago, and I agree with your review. I would have given it a 3 as well, it wasn't horrible, but for some reason I just didn't connect to the characters. Although I have enjoyed other books by that author.